The OSU Excavations at Isthmia
By permission of the Greek Ministry of Culture and with a permit through the American School of Classical Studies at Athens, The Ohio State University conducts a program of archaeological research, education, and publication at the Sanctuary of Poseidon at Isthmia. Isthmia was one of the four great Panhellenic sanctuaries, active from the Archaic period through the end of Antiquity, with a rich period of medieval use as well.
Modern excavation at Isthmia began in 1952 under the direction of Oscar Broneer of the University of Chicago, and Paul A. Clement of UCLA continued exploration at Isthmia beginning in 1967. In 1987 Timothy E. Gregory was named to succeed Professor Clement as Read more...
Director at Isthmia, and Ohio State University undertook sponsorship of the excavation.The University of Chicago continues its program of research under the direction of Professor Elizabeth R. Gebhard; the Chicago excavation enjoys the longest tenure at the site, while our project is now over 25 years old. The two projects (Chicago and Ohio State) cooperate on many levels and we promote joint study and publication of materials, yet we are separate organizations with our own staff and financing structure.
Funding for the Ohio State University Excavations has been provided by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, the Packard Humanities Institute, the National Endowment for the Humanities, and many private donors.
This website has been identified as a model site by the staff of Archaeology magazine, an official publication of the Archaeological Institute of America. All materials from this site are copyrighted. Materials may be used with permission upon request.